LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

new issues

John called from the airport where he changed planes on the way home to say that he has what is almost surely bleeding inside his eye. He talked to one ophthalmologist and I spoke to mine and both said come in in the morning. So far as I can tell the problem is related to nothing but age and bad luck.

Reading the book on Families, Illness, and Disability over the weekend I had focused on the idea tha we are out of the crisis/adjustment stage now and I need to change my approach to focus on the long haul. I started to think about what do I want to get done while I still can, and this morning I was seriously thinking about signing up for an Iron Distance triathlon next fall (signups don't open until early December so I don't have to decide yet). And now here we are back to crisis mode--not a big crisis but I've cancelled several appointments tomorrow so that I can take John to the doctor.

No comments: