LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Monday, August 4, 2008

hiking

John and the kids took a hike of 3 or 4 miles round trip up to a view yesterday afternoon. He came back saying he was very tired, that was as much as he was good for, but he felt good about it and wanted to keep hiking. This morning he said he wasn't sore but this afternoon he set out for a hike but came right back--his knee was hurting. I suggested that he go for 1/4 mile and see if it worked out, but he said he didn't want to risk it. He has always been cautious, but it feels to me like he is getting more fearful.

I hadn't volunteered to go with him partly because I had grading I had to get done. But I also had gone on a road bike ride in the morning led by a mountain biker. The trouble with mountain bikers is they like to ride up hills just for the sake of riding up hills. It was hard--only 27 miles but something like 4000 feet of climbing.

No comments: