LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Saturday, February 21, 2009

weekend away

I'm in Massachusetts for the weekend with our daughter, who was very glad to see me. We talked some about death--some of her classmates went to the wake for the girl from her school who died, and it was open casket. That death was such a tragedy it is not surprising that students said the body didn't seem real.

I said that I believed that for older people a good death is possible. Our daughter thought Florence would be a good example, I think because she has had a full life. I said I wasn't sure Florence was going to feel ready. We talked about my father's death, which was sudden, the way he would have wanted it. We didn't mention John, but it still felt valuable to me to talk about death as something that can be natural and peaceful.

No comments: