This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.


Sunday, July 13, 2008


I drove our daughter to a summer class at Duke today--left at 9:30 am, got back at 8:30 pm. It didn't seem like as long a day of driving as it was; she and I talked to whole way up and I had downloaded several new albums to listen to on the way back. I tried to explain the whole family financial situation to her and she seemed reassured to know. My father gave the kids college funds when they were born which have done very well, so I'm not worried about our new situation limiting them.

I called John from the road to tell him when I would get home, and I asked him if he had gone to church. I didn't particularly expect it--it is something which has always been more my thing than his--but he likes the Sunday evening service we have been going to recently. He said he hadn't been able to motivate himself. I thought that was interesting, that he saw it as not being able to motivate himself. That applies, I think, to doing more exercise--he knows it is a good thing but needs structure to motivate him. He says he does want to try Silver Sneakers, so maybe he and I will go sign up at the Recreation Center tomorrow after his urologist appointment. I wish so much for him to have motivation to do as much as he can, but the disease is taking that away.


Stella said...

Pam, the disease takes tiny bites at a time. Just little nips. Freddie and I are at the other end of the trail but through these many years of the journey, he was always interested in voting and I arranged to have his ballot sent to the house [remember he is blind]. I could always find some time during the period between the time the ballot arrived at the house and the time it was due to be returned when I was sure he was thinking clearly and had a good grasp on the upcoming election for him to "voice" his opinion. I think I was hoping to hang in there for the big presidential election. Recently I had a ballot for a state wide election and as I presented it to him for discussion, he told me he did not want to do that anymore. I did not push for more, he knows what he wants to do. He knows when the time is right. We have his meds regulated. Our days and nights are pleasant and comfortable. Saturday night he came to the living room because he wanted to listen to Lawrence Welk on the TV. That was motivation from within. Two hours in his recliner... I was almost dancing around him as the music played.

pauline said...

Dance Stella dance...

Yes, I saw Daddy go from all day in front of the TV news to not interested. It seemed to happen over night.

My best to you and Freddie...