LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Saturday, March 14, 2009

spring break

This upcoming week is my spring break and I don't have any travel plans except to take our son on a day trip to revisit a college before he makes his decision. I'm trying to use the vacation to do things that have seemed too stressful to face. I've found most of the missing documents for our taxes, except the ones from Social Security (sigh). But when I went to look for one missing tax form I discovered I hadn't paid it. No doubt they sent the bill to the mortgage company for the mortgage we paid off, but I should have thought of that.

I was in a hurry to get this year's taxes done because of college financial aid forms but it has become clear that we won't get any aid, except at one school that offers scholarships for in-state students. I wrote some letters explaining our situation but our son doesn't qualify because of a savings account my father established for him, before considering parents' income. I'm glad our son has the money for college but it makes me feel badly about not helping him much.

The big task for the break is house matters. I was reading about basement refinishing last night and discovered that there is a better approach than what I have been hearing so far--wall and floor products that will not grow mold. I have an appointment with the designer tomorrow but the two contractors I called yesterday haven't called me back yet. We have an appointment Monday with the realtor who will list our current house and I had a good conversation with him on the phone. He used to be our travel agent so John feels comfortable with him. I'm dreading what he is going to say about what we should do to make the house look better, but I've already told him that is going to be a problem for us.

No comments: