LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Coconut Oil

On an Alzheimer's site I saw a discussion of coconut oil possibly helping Alzheimer's. There is a newspaper article about it here: http://www.tampabay.com/news/aging/article879333.ece It is obviously not proven, but the science makes some sense to me, as I follow a low carb diet for diabetes. I don't know if John will be willing to try it, since it used to have a reputation as an unhealthy fat. I'm afraid I'm slipping into the dangerous pattern of wanting to try anything I hear about. Somehow my mind refuses to take in that there is nothing we can do.

1 comment:

Frederick said...

Hello! "... the science makes some sense to me..." Absolutely!

One explanation for coconut oil's apparent benefit for Alzheimer's is the fact that medium chain fatty acid MCFA-rich coconut oil does not need insulin to feed your cells, and that includes brain cells of course. Obviously, this is tremendous information for diabetics.

It doesn't take a genius to logically think that cells, including brain cells, that are properly nourished have a much greater chance of avoiding degeneration, which is characteristic of Alzheimer's and other so-called "brain diseases."

Just my two cents. Take care.

Cheers,
CoconutOilGuy
www.coconut-oil-central.com
Your Drugstore in a Bottle