LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

antidepressants

I went on Zoloft (actually the generic) a couple of months ago, feeling that I needed help to get through the stress of house renovations and moving. I'm very medication sensitive and I found that 1/2 a 25 mg. tablet daily was plenty, in fact when I went to my gynecologist, who prescribed it, for my annual checkup I complained that I can't cry any more.

She was concerned about my cholesterol numbers. My HDL is always very high--over 80--and my triglycerides were excellent (34), so it isn't clear that I have to worry. But my LDL was up a lot. I had been on vacation and eating less carefully, but my A1c was down slightly at 6.0, which suggests that my diet hasn't gotten worse. I couldn't figure out what had changed, particularly as my LDL had been trending downwards before that. The doctor asked if I was doing less exercise and I am doing less than two years ago, but not less than at the time of the last test. John's experience is that exercise improves triglycerides and HDL, not LDL. I'm pretty careful to avoid transfats.

I'm already taking fish oil, so what to do to bring my LDL down? As I started to look for information on approaches that would fit my way of eating, I discovered scientific papers that say Zoloft raises LDL. I'm going to taper off the Zoloft and see what happens. See if my LDL improves (the doctor wanted another test in 2-3 months) and see how I feel. One source suggests that Celexa might not have the same effect, if I find I need an antidepressant (and it comes in pills than look like they can be split to get the lower doses that work for me). But I'm hoping I can hold on to this stabler place now that I've found it.

No comments: