LEWY BODY DAILY JOURNAL

This is the story of Pam and John; she in her early 50’s and John is 62. Pam is a college professor. John taught at a local community college until diagnosed with Parkinson’s in March 2008, then Lewy Body Dementia in April.

-------

Friday, May 30, 2008

Being positive

I remember having the thought that I need to find ways to be more positive, but I don't remember what I was thinking I would do. There are a number of things I am thankful for. I am particularly thankful that John is not in denial--that is a difference from when I pushed him to get tested for Attention Deficit Disorder (only when our kids were diagnosed and helped by medication did he begin to admit it fit him too). I am thankful our kids are away at school and not watching the adjustment process, and I am thankful they are doing so well. I'm thankful we aren't caring for parents too. John's father died of a heart attack when he was in high school and his mother from an automobile accident when he was in college. My father died suddenly of a stroke a few years ago and my mother is in excellent health (and one of my sisters lives much closer). I'm grateful for having gotten as far as I did with my own inner healing process before this hit, even if I am disappointed not to get the happier time I thought was coming.

No comments: